Pet Microchipping Services at Duarte Azusa Animal Hospital
At Duarte Azusa Animal Hospital, our veterinary staff strongly encourages pet parents to get their animal companions microchipped. There are plenty of important benefits to microchipping, plus it's affordable and easy! We welcome your questions or invite you to keep reading to learn more about this wonderful service.
What Is a Pet Microchip?
A pet microchip is very small device, about the size of a grain of rice, that contains a serial number linked to your digitally stored contact information, including your name and phone number. This device, which is implanted into your pet usually just beneath the skin between the shoulders, acts as a permanent identification tag.
A microchip isn't a GPS device, but it can help identify a lost pet and reunite it with its family. Here's how it works:
- A lost pet is found and brought in to an animal shelter, animal control office, or animal hospital
- If the facility has a microchip registering device, a staff member will "scan" the pet with the device (this is completely harmless and involves a wand-like instrument that is simply waved over the pet's body)
- Using your contact information associated with your pet's unique microchip ID number and account, the database registry can then contact you and let you know where your pet is
Research has shown that microchipped animals are statistically more likely to be reunited with their owners after they go missing compared to animals that don't have microchips. This makes sense for several reasons:
- Some lost pets end up being surrendered to facilities that are very far away from a pet owner's location—so the pet owner may not know to go looking for their pet there
- ID collars, while important, can fall off or be removed, so even if your pet has one there's no guarantee it will help them be identified
- Pets—even indoors-only ones—can elope, get lost, run away, or even become victims of theft at any time; we hope this never happens to you, but it's better to be prepared just in case!
What to Expect During a Pet Microchipping Appointment
A microchip can be easily inserted into your pet using a basic hypodermic needle. This usually requires no sedation and can be done in a quick office visit. Our Duarte veterinarian team can also implant microchips during other procedures, such as dental cleanings.
Are You Ready to Have Your Pet Microchipped?
Contact Duarte Azusa Animal Hospital at 626-357-2251 to schedule a pet care appointment today. Our vet team is here to help!